TURKEY (1990) - Gallipoli Series
- tells the story of Australia's and New Zealand's involvement at
Anzac on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915.
Burnu - at the right of walkway to beach cemetery.
Cove - beside the road and to the right of Turkish sign Anzac Cove.
Valley - at right of entrance to cemetery, across creek.
Green - to left of cemetery entrance.
Pine - to left of main entrance.
& Steeles' Post - to right of entrance in flower bed.
Post - at entrance.
8. The Nek-
to right of cemetery facing car park.
Bair - on Anzac Cove side of New Zealand memorial.
971 - on Suvla Bay side of peak next to podium.
Map - Chunuk Bair - next to plaque.
Map - Kaba Tepe Museum - office of Director of Forestry & Parks,
Ecebat, Turkey (should be at Kaba Tepe Museum).
13. Sponsors' Plaque - Kaba Tepe Museum - right wall at Museum entrance.
14. Plaques Guide Plaque - English - right wall at Museum.
15. Plaques Guide Plaque - Turkish - Director of Forestry & Parks,
Ecebat (should be beside English plaque).
Map - House of Commons, London - Gallery Walk.
Map - Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne - South-east comer.
Map - Queen Elizabeth II Military Museum, Wellington, New Zealand -
Map - Australian War Memorial, Canberra
GREECE AND CRETE SERIES (1991) - tells the story of Australians,
New Zealanders and British in the battles of mainland Greece and in
Pass - Greece - next to Greek status Leonides by 250 m sea side of
highway, atop mound of rocks.
21. Hania -
Crete - Botanical Gardens, west side walk.
- Crete - Town Hall, external wall, main street.
- Crete - Crete National War Memorial, centre town.
War Memorial, Canberra - mounted in Crete Gallery.
SINGAPORE SERIES (1992) tells the story of the battle of
Singapore and -subsequent period of captivity for Allied servicemen and
women at Changi Prison.
Plaque - Changi Prison Main Gate - to right of main entrance with
time capsule and plaque.
26. Changi Plaque - Changi Museum - to right of Museum, in front of
27. Changi Plaque - Australian War Memorial
Plaque - Kranji Cemetery, Singapore - to left of steps leading to
29. Kranji Plaque - Australian War Memorial
THAILAND (1992, 1994) - Burma Thailand Series - tells the story
of the suffering and achievements of Allied Prisoners of War who built
the Burma-Thailand Railway.
on the River Kwai (Tha Makham) Plaque - to left of east side of
Plaque - outside cemetery entrance and to the right.
Fire Pass Plaque - on the landing above the staircase leading down
to railway track.
Tok Plaque - outside the ticket box at station beside telephone
34. Bridge on the River Kwai Plaque - Imperial War Museum, England -
Duxford POW section.
Fire Pass Plaque - Australian War Memorial
Pagodas Pass - Border Thailand-Burma - 200 m from border with
Thailand-Burma and pagodas.
A small series of plaques placed in Thailand to commemorate Sir Edward
Dunlop's ashes being spread on the railway and the work to preserve the
37. Dunlop Plaque - Hell Fire Pass - on rock face inside Pass.
38. Hell Fire Pass Staircase Plaque - on riser of staircase.
39. Time Capsule Plaque - Hell Fire Pass Time Capsule - base of Plaque
BURMA SERIES (1994) - tells the story of Allied Prisoners of War
struggle in Burma.
Plaque - CWG Cemetery, Thanbyuzayat, Burma - to right of main
entrance and at right comer of cemetery.
41. Time Capsule Plaque - Thanbyuzayat Cemetery - at base of Plaque 40.
PAPUA NEW GUINEA (1992,1996) - Kokoda series tells of Australian
defence and ultimate victory over the Japanese in the Owen Stanley
Mountains, Papua New Guinea, and later with the Americans on the
beaches to the north.
Kokoda Trail Plaques
I. Large Plaques
House Port Moresby Plaque - beneath PNG flagpole.
43. Sogeri and Owers Comer Plaque - road
junction Sogeri-Owers Comer beside Australian Memorial cairn.
44. Kokoda Village Plaque - on the Australian
National War Memorial.
45. Popondetta Plaque - on the Australian
Memorial main park.
46. Bromana War Cemetery Plaque - to the left of
entrance inside CWGC boundary.
47. Kokoda Village Plaque - Australian War Memorial
II. Small Plaques
48. Efogi Village - to west side of trail 200 m
south of village.
49. Templeton's Crossing II - east side of
50. Eora Creek - east bank of creek in only
clearing in area.
51. Alola Village - to west side of trail at
north end of village.
52. Brigade Hill - atop Brigade Hill. (1996)
53. Isurava Village - in main clearing village.
54. Buna Village - centre village between
55. Sanananda Mission - centre village.
56. Gona Village - centre village. (1994)
Milne Bay series (1992) tells of the Australian and US defeat of
the Japanese at Milne Bay in 1942.
Milne Bay - main street Alota.
Airport, Milne Bay - air terminal Alota.
59. Australian War Memorial.
FRENCH SERIES (1993) - tells of Australia's role in the battles
of the Western Front 1916-1918. All major battlefields on which they
contain a plaque.
60. Villers Bretonneaux - Town
Hall - to left of the left main entrance steps.
61. Villers Bretonneaux - Australian National
Memorial - to the left of memorial adjacent to hedge and out building.
62. Pozieres - Windmill Site - behind
memorial tablet and before mound.
63. Pozieres - Gibraltar Site - lst Division
Memorial - to left of main entrance on Australian soil.
64. Mont St Quentin - 2nd Division Memorial - to
west side and behind Digger memorial.
65. Peronne - Historiale Museum - to right of
drawbridge into Historiale.
66. Bullecourt - Australian Memorial - to
left of entrance on road side.
67. Fromelles - VC Comer Cemetery - 400 in
east of cemetery between 2 German pillboxes and midfield.
68. Hamel - Town Hall.
69. Mouquet Farm - roadside, beneath Mouquet
70. Villers Bretonneaux - Australian War Memorial, Canberra
BELGIUM SERIES (1993) - tells of Australia's role from 1916-1917
in the fighting in Belgium during the Great War.
- Menin Gate - adjacent to Australian Roll Honour on ramparts.
- center of town opposite Church.
73. Messines - center of town in town square.
House (Toc H -1999) - Poperinge - museum, original Fromelles plaque
(plaque number 67 was reworded in 1998).
SPANISH CIVIL WAR (1993) - tells the story of Australians who
volunteered to fight in the Spanish Civil War in 1936.
Civil War Plaque - Lake Burley Griffin, Canberra - behind Canberra
Hilton in Park.
ISRAEL (1995) - Beer-Sheva Plaque - tells of the Australian Light
Horse and the capture of Beer-Sheva in 1917.
76. Beer-Sheva - Allenby Park, Beer-Sheva - center Beer-Sheva adjacent Cultural
Center and Mosque in Allenby Square.
77. Caulfield Park, City of Glen Eira (Melbourne) - by Anzac Memorial.
78. Australian War Memorial - Sinai and Palestine Gallery.
EGYPT (1995) - El Alamein Series - tells of Australia's major
role in the 1942 battle of El Alamein.
Australian Division Memorial Plaque at El Alamein Commonwealth War
Graves Cemetery (English-Arabic) - at foot of 9th Division Memorial.
El Alamein Ossuary & Memorial (English & Italian) - at
81. Australian War Memorial.
PUPUA NEW GUINEA (1995) - Wewak - tells of the final campaign in
PNG fought by the Australians and Japanese in 1945.
Plaque - at Australian Memorial and where surrender of Japanese
occurred August 15, 1945.
VC Plaque - Mission Hill, Wewak.
AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) (1995) - Sir Edward "Weary"
Dunlop Memorial, St Kilda Road - series of plaques which were
commissioned by the Sir Edward Dunlop Memorial Committee. The Memorial
was designed by Ross Bastiaan and centred around the sculpture of Peter
Corlett of Sir Edward Dunlop.
84.Changi Prison Medical Plaque.
85.River Kwai Medical Plaque.
- Nam Tok was one of the sites were Dunlop operated a medical centre and
he was responsible for the location of this plaque at the Nam Tok
86. Two plaques telling Sir
Edward Dunlop's life history written for the period from 1907-1945
A further 8 plaques were made
recording the names of all Army and Navy doctors captured by the
Japanese from 1941 to 1945.
WAR CABINET ROOMS, St Kilda Road (Melbourne) (1996) - displays
the disposition of Australia's armed forces during WWII and the central
role of Cabinet Rooms in these decisions.
87. War Cabinet Rooms Plaque -
outside Victoria Barracks.
AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) (1996) - Melbourne Cricket Ground - tells
the history of the MCG.
88. Members' Grandstand - between World War 1 & 2 Honour Boards.
LIBYA (Tobruk) (1996) - tells of Australia, Britain and Poland's
role in the 1942 Siege of Tobruk.
Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery (English, Arabic and Polish).
90. Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
L. McCarthy, VC Plaque - Vermondovilliers, France (1993) - Hotel
Map (Small) - Hamilton, Victoria (1993) - on Lake Hamilton beside
Map (Small) - Moorabbin, Melbourne (1993) - on Turkish Memorial,
center - Dandenong Road Park.
Map (Small) - Deniliquin, NSW (1993) - center town Anzac Memorial.
95. Dunlop Plaque - City of Essendon, Melbourne (1994) - in Essendon
Map (Small) - Wesley College, Melbourne (1996).
KOKODA WALK (Upper Ferntree Gully)
(1997-98), Dandenong Rangers National Park - one large (1 metre square)
and nine small (41Omm2) spaced along the " 1000 steps" walking
path up One Tree Hill, Upper Fern Tree Gully. The plaques tell the story
of the Kokoda Trail as you walk up the track.
Kokoda Trail - large plaque
with full story at bottom hill
98. Ower's Comer
100. Brigade Hill
101. Templeton's Cross
102. Eora Creek
103. Aloloa Village
105. Kokoda Village
106. Introduction plaque (top hill)
107. Introduction plaque (bottom hill)
AUSTRALIA (Sydney Harbour) (1998) GULF WAR PLAQUE - commemorates
Australia's commitment to the Gulf War of 1990-1991.
108. Maritime Head Quarters, Royal
Aus. Navy - Pott's
Point Sydney Harbour
109. Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
LONDON ANZAC MEMORIAL (1998) Gallipoli Plaque
110. Gallipoli Plaque at the Anzac memorial in Battersea Park - London.
UNITED STATES of AMERICA (1998) Gage Accident at Cavandish
commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the famous medical case of
Phedius Gage's frontal brain damage.
111. Gage Accident Plaque- center of Cavandish New Hampshire.
BORNEO CAMPAIGN (1998) - tells the story of the Australian
liberation of Borneo (Kalimantan & British North Borneo) in 1945.
(East Kalimantan, Indonesia) beside the 7th AIF Memorial main road
(East Kalimantan, Indonesia) Main entrance Tarakan Wharf, Tarakan
Island (Sabah, Malaysia) Surrender Point adjacent to 9th Div. AIF
Plaque Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
SANDAKAN & RANAU DEATH MARCH PLAQUES (1998) tells the story
of the Allied POW experiences in Borneo where, under the Japanese, over
(Sabah, Malaysia) at the entrance to the Australian Memorial Park,
War Memorial inside the Australian garden at the large terraced Memorial
at Kundasang, Sabah (near the village of Ranau).
Plaque Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
KOREAN WAR (1998) - tells the story of Australia's role in the
Korean War of 1950-53
Nations Cemetery, Pusan Korea -- plaque mounted on ground just above
the Australian section of the cemetery containing the grave stones of
all the Australian's buried in Korea.
Anzac Memorial, Kapyong Valley Korea - site on south side of valley
above the area of the famous 1953 battle. Site under preparation for
50th anniversary unveiling.
121. Pusan Plaque - Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
MEMORIAL ARCH (1999) - Ower's
Corner, Kokoda Trail, PNG.
Memorial Arch - Six metre by 15 metre, eleven tonne, steel sculpture
with 10 attached bronze plaques listing all units that fought in the
Kokoda Campaign & campaign details.
Corner Plaque - 1999 - At the foot of the Kokoda Memorial Arch
AFRICA (2000) - The Anglo-Boer War series tells the story of Australia's role in the
Anglo-Boer War of 1899 to 1902.
River Post - main road
outside Military Cemetery.
125. Diamond Hill, Pretoria -
outside the Diamond Hill Military
126. Boer War memorial - St.Kilda Rd
127. Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
AUSTRALIA (Wooloomanata) (2000)
Squadron RAAF Memorial
RAAF Memorial - Plaque with Spitfire commemorating the site where 79th
Sqd formed and carried out early training near Gisborne, Victoria.
Located inside Wooloomanata farm (near Anakie East) on airstrip.
BRITAIN (PNG) (2000)
RAAF Memorial, West New Britain
RAAF Memorial - Plaque series with sculpted maps, planes and text
commemorating RAAF Squadrons 22, 30 & 79 that flew missions in this
region in world War II. Located in grounds of San Remo Club,
Kimbe, New Britain
Williamstown, Melbourne (2000) -
HMAS Yarra Memorial
Yarra Memorial, Yarra River, Williamstown - tells the story of the
sinking of HMAS Yarra by the Japanese in 1942 with a plaque series
(Darwin) (2001) - tells the story of the 19th
Feb 1942 bombing of Darwin
House Darwin, main gate.
plaque - tells story of the Australians, especially nurses who
served on Limnos before and during the Gallipoli campaign of 1915.
132. Australian War Memorial, Canberra
133. The Mall, Darwin City - Darwin civilians and the war (2002).
(Limnos Island, Moudhros) (2001)
BELGIUM (Geluwe Village) (2001) William Leggett Plaque
Village - Commemorates the death of the first Australian defending Ypres before the First Battle of Ypres 1914. Centre village outside
NEW GUINEA (Bita Paka near Rabaul, New Britain) (2001) –
tells story of the first battle in which Australian’s fought in the
First World War when they captured the German radio station at Bita Paka.
136. Bita Paka Commonwealth War
Graves Cemetery – near the graves of Capt Pockley and Able Seaman
137. Northcote RSL – front of
building at 496 High St Northcote, Melbourne. Williams lived one street distant.